Monday, October 6, 2008

Outstanding scriptures

As we read through the scriptures a certain passage will seemingly reach out and grab our attention. We may have read it a number of times before and not taken note of it. Such happened recently with me.

In reading the prophet Micah I noticed the following passages: Micah 1:4 And the mountains shall be melted under him, and the valleys shall be cleft, as wax before the fire, as waters that are poured down a steep place. What an interesting word picture which we readily understand.

It seems that much of Micah's message is filled with "doom and gloom" there are two more items in the last chapter that offer hope and build our faith. Notice Micah 7:7-10 But as for me, I will look unto Jehovah; I will wait for the God of my salvation: my God will hear me. Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy: when I fall, I shall arise; when I sit in darkness, Jehovah will be a light unto me. I will bear the indignation of Jehovah, because I have sinned against him, until he plead my cause, and execute judgment for me: he will bring me forth to the light, and I shall behold his righteousness. Then mine enemy shall see it, and shame shall cover her who said unto me, Where is Jehovah thy God? Mine eyes shall see my desire upon her; now shall she be trodden down as the mire of the streets. Here Micah expresses his faith in God and his willingness to trust in Him.

Then as the book closes notice:Micah 7:18-20 Who is a God like unto thee, that pardoneth iniquity, and passeth over the transgression of the remnant of his heritage? he retaineth not his anger for ever, because he delighteth in lovingkindness. He will again have compassion upon us; he will tread our iniquities under foot; and thou wilt cast all their sins into the depths of the sea. Thou wilt perform the truth to Jacob, and the lovingkindness to Abraham, which thou hast sworn unto our fathers from the days of old. Here he praises God and offers hope to his hearers.

I would like to encourage you to read the entire message of Micah and see what I am speaking of. Then please tell me what has "grabbed" you recently in the scriptures.

1 comment:

deboraw said...

Josiah, There are so many interesting (and funny) scriptures that catch the attention. Song of Solomon 8:7 "Many waters cannot quench love, Neither can floods drown it:..."
The Bible uses so many 'word pictures'-- such as in Isaiah 28:20 "For the bed is shorter than that a man can stretch himself on it; and the covering narrower than that he can wrap himself in it."

The one that always stirs my emotions however is John 20:28 Thomas answered and said unto him,-- My Lord and my God. I think doubting Thomas gets a 'bum rap', for doubting. When confronted with the evidence, his statement is one of a profound indisputable profession of faith. Deboraw