Monday, September 8, 2008

What is it worth?

Ever heard the old saying: "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"? I am sure you have. Ever try it? Can't do it can you! No matter how hard you try he will not drink if he doesn't want to.

We sometimes equate make and cause as the same thing. Sometimes this is ok. But not this time. The scripture says in Matthew 18:6 But whoso shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it is profitable for him that a great millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depth of the sea. In Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of Law
we find the following definition of the word cause "something that brings about an effect or result " With this definition in mind we would understand the above passage like this: whoever does something that results in one of these stumbling would be better off drowning in the sea. In this there is no need to establish motive because the one stumbling is responsible for their own actions. Let me illustrate it in this way. I was at an auction this past Saturday. Someone or something had dug a hole in the yard sometime before the sale. I wasn't watching where I was going and I stepped in the hole and nearly fell. That would have been embarrasing as there were a lot of people around at the time. The hole caused me to stumble but it did not make me stumble. I chose to step where I did. therefore I alone am responsible for stumbling and whatever made the hole is responsible for providing the opportunity for me to stumble. No one made me step there, it was my choice.

Can someone MAKE you sin? Absaloutly not! Can someone force me to do something against my will? NOPE! All they can do is persuade me to do a thing by creating consequences which I would greatly enjoy or strongly desire not to endure. For example I do not like to fill out financial statements. However the bank says that if I want to get a loan from them I will have to fill them out. Do they make me fill them out? NO! So if I choose not to fill them out, I also choose not to get the loan.

We persuade our children to obey by offering rewards and punishment. It is still their choice. God also offers reward and punishment to encourage us to be obedient. We can obey strictly out of a sense of duty or love can be our motive.

In our past posts we have explored God's love for us and also our love for God. I would now like us to consider the value of the love of God. What is the love of God worth to you? Please express this value in both ways, loving us and loving Him. Happy pondering!

1 comment:

deboraw said...

Josiah, Human beings are 'feeling' beings. We feel love, hate, fear, joy, peace...we feel many things. Love is a big word--or feeling, and many spend their life searching for it. We seem to value it highly, yet I think many today don't know what love--the right kind--is, nor do they know how to value it. Because people seek instant gratification they cheapen what they value.

Most of us don't value anything, really. If we can't feel, taste, touch, or see it--it isn't real.
How should we value the love of God? We should value it above all else. We should seek God's love and favor, and do all in our power to obtain it. But the sacrifices that we offer God are usually the leftovers of our time, our money...and basically the leftovers of our lives. Not the 'first fruits'. There is a vast chasm between how we SHOULD value the love of God, and how we do. Deboraw