Saturday, May 24, 2008

Understanding What We Read

In Acts 8 Philip who was one of those chosen to serve the Grecian widows in Acts 6 is sent to meet the eunuch from Ethiopia. The eunuch was reading from Isaiah when Philip approached his chariot. Philip said to the eunuch "understandest thou what thou readest?" What a wonderful and important question.

In this country there are hundreds of different religious organizations claiming to be able to show a person the way to heaven. Many claim to follow the Bible in practicing their religion. I think it is safe to say that there are some, that is a few, points on which most would agree, at least in principle. Such being the case it is also safe to say that there are many points upon which few can agree.

If most claim to follow the Bible, why is there so much religious division? Do we not all have the same road map, guide book, standard? Let me emphasize that the problem is not the Word of God! The Bible clearly teaches that God is not the author of confusion! But God is the author of the Bible. Therefore the Bible is not the problem. What then is the problem?

If you get brave enough to talk about the scriptures with your neighbor you will probably hear things like: "that's your interpretation" or "that is your opinion" or perhaps "we just cannot understand the scriptures" or even "we can read the same passage and you understand it one way and I get something totally different out of it" and finally "we are all going to the same place just on different roads".

With these things in mind, let me ask some questions to get our discussion going on this important topic.
1. Can we understand the scriptures?
2. Can we understand the scriptures alike? Why?
3. Are we really going to the same place in different ways?

I will share my answers in a later post. Looking forward to reading yours.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it's not really funny, but the gate to heaven is described as 'narrow, straitened, and few there are that enter thereby'. However, it is possible that some may be entering hell through many ways, because 'wide is the way that leadeth unto destruction, and many are they that enter thereby'.

Christian said...

Dear Josiah:

1. Yes
2. Yes because God wrote them so all could understand them. If the Scriptures are open to some and closed to others, God would be confusing (I Corinthians 14:33)and all could not follow His commands. It would also make Him a liar (II Peter 1:20) and a respecter of persons (Acts 10:34).
3. Jesus said there is only one way to heaven - His way (John 14:6). Therefore, it follows logicly, that there MUST exist only one way, doctrine, set of commands (John 14:15; Ephesians 4:1-6; Galatians 1:6-9) whereby a person can enter into heaven. All else then become a wide accepting thoroughfare to hell (Matthew 7:13-27).

Christian

Anonymous said...

Excuse me sir, can you tell me the way to heaven? I have been up and down this street all day looking for the answer. "Go down the street till you come to faith only ave and turn right, that will lead you right to it." Thank you! Excuse me ma'am, I have been walking down this easy street for half an hour looking for "faith only ave." can you tell me how much farther it is? "Why I have never seen that street and I have lived here all my life. Where is it you want to go?" I just want to go to heaven and the fellow up the street said to turn right on faith only. "I have always been told to say the sinners prayer and turn right on 'strait' street. It is just up the way a little." Many thanks to you ma-am. Could one of you gentlemen tell me where 'strait street' is? I have been walking all afternoon and haven't found it yet. The little old lady up the street told me if I wanted to go to heaven I should say the sinners prayer and turn right on strait street. I said a prayer but haven't been able to find the street yet. "Let me consult my guide book, ah here it is Luke 13:3 turn or burn. So you must be looking for turn or burn street. It is about 6 more blocks to the t intersection, you can't miss it." Much obliged to you friend. Only 6 more blocks! Oh here it is but he didn't tell me which way to turn. That way has a narrow gate and grass growing on the path, this other way is wide and well worn. Decisions, decisions. Would someone please give me the correct answer? I may not have much longer to find it I am getting tired and weak. Help!

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds like one way is turn AND burn. Better go careful, buddy. Lol--That's not really funny either, is it! Oh, my!